Tuesday, August 25, 2009

3 days until Busan!

When I woke up this morning I realized I was so preoccupied with my crazy afternoon that I completely forgot to write about all the POSITIVE things that happened on Sunday. We took a break from classes to go on a field trip to Jeonju Hanok Village and to Keumsan Temple. The village was really nice. We went on a walking tour and then had some time to make a traditional Korean fan. The temple was also nice, but a little underwhelming compared to some that I saw in Japan. At lunch we had a traditional meal of bimbibap. It came in this huge cast iron vat ready to feed over 700 people!

As class representatives, Billy and I were able to be one of the first to stir the bimbibap for the group.

Buddhas inside the temple

After we got back to campus we decided to go grab dinner down the street. We ended the evening with some beers and virtual golf! For about 9 dollars you get a set of clubs, tons of balls, and a round of nine holes. There is a laser censor that measures how far the ball goes after you hit it into the screen. I was terrible (and forced to play right handed!) but it was fun anyway.   

This is my friend Christine teeing off. She is also left-handed and did as terrible as me! :)

Some other pictures over the past few days....

Traditional Korean drumming at Opening Ceremonies


Outside of a Catholic Church in the village. While most of Korea is fairly secular, Christianity has been on the rise since the Korean War.

 Amy, myself and Christine on the walking tour.

Ah yes. My dear roommate Amy. She is Canadian, her favorite animal is a giraffe, and has a tendency to faint when having her blood drawn. I adore her. 

As some of you know I've had a terrible cough the past week or so. I've been going to the nurse for daily doses of medicine but it still hasn't gone away. The good news is I will be fully insured starting next Monday so I can go to the doctor in Busan if need be. 

Finally, I will leave you with a quote I came across in one of the orientation books that I found particularly poignant.

"One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child." - Carl Jung

No comments:

Post a Comment