Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Pepero Day!

Pepero Day is Korea's answer to Valentine's Day. A made up holiday in order to get people to buy candy for schoolmates and the one they love. In Korea's case, you give out a pepero, which is a chocolate covered cracker stick. Good description, I know. Here is a sampling of the loot I got from my students today.

I was in a sugar coma by the day's end after eating about 100 of these sticks. The reason it is today (11/11) is because the 1 1 1 1 looks like 4 sticks, get it? Brilliant. The kids at my school were encouraged not to bring them, but rather bring healthy snacks to share. Ya right! I gladly accepted every last pepero.

A lot has happened since my last post, but I will just touch on a few events.

First, Halloween. My first Halloween out of Colorado and out of the U.S. Since Korea obviously doesn't celebrate Halloween, finding a costume proved to be a bit of a challenge. That is until I found a pajama stand near Christine's apartment. Yes, a onesie pajama stand. My dragon costume was labeled as a nightgown! How one could ever want to wear this cumbersome thing to bed is beyond me. Take a look:

Would you wear this thing to bed?! That is Christine as Lady Gaga. We were on our way to the beach to take a few photos in our costumes. Too much fun! :)


Jack, a friend from high school and college, was also in town. He is currently traveling around the world before settling in New Zealand for a year in March. I was so glad he was able to stop in Busan before going onto the Philippines!

These Koreans insisted on taking a photo with Jack. Amy and Natalie jumped in behind for good measure.

Last Sunday I went to an apple festival with a teacher from my school and her family. It was wonderful! (Can I just point out really quickly that I never used to say the word 'wonderful', but I have to teach it to my kids so now it's in my daily rotation of adjectives. I will hope it goes away when I move home.)

Mr. Park pulled over on our way to the festival and insisted on taking this photo of me in front of the "beautiful fall weather". It was hilarious. And awkward. I hate individual photos.

Only one kind of apple available, it just depended on how many you wanted.


So Yeon, Mrs. Park and I in front of a ski resort. It's only missing one thing. . .

Tonight was my favorite neighbor's birthday. Jessica and her husband Mayo have become some of my closest friends in Korea. Tonight was Jessica's birthday, and yesterday was Mayo's birthday and their wedding anniversary! I was so excited to go out and celebrate with them tonight. I am going to be so sad when they leave in February!!


Finally, one of my favorite photos I have taken in Busan:

I wish I knew Korean just so I could talk to this man and hear his life story.

2 comments:

  1. So who were the kids you took the picture with on the beach? Was everyone totally confused by the costumes?

    And nothing makes for a more beautiful photo than you and some beautiful fall scenery - and cables overhead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! We just walked up, showed them the camera and waved them over. The younger one refused but her mom made her! Hence the look.

    That photo did have potential except for the cables! I almost cropped them out but felt the original was more authentic. . .and Mr. Park was pretty proud of it.

    ReplyDelete