Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What is your man style?

Yes, this question was posed to me by a 6th grade Korean girl. I looked to my co-teacher with embarrassment, and she rephrased. "Um well, she wants to know what's your type? Like what type of men you like?" While I found this wildly inappropriate, I entertained the question anyway. "Well, I like men that are kind..." Before I could even finish a thought, they pounced. "And handsome?! And funny?!" I nodded in agreement, happy that they found something they actually liked talking about in English. After I introduced myself I gave them the chance to ask any questions they might have about me. Here is a not-so-brief sampling:
-How old are you? (Almost always the first question. They want to measure how much respect they have to give you based on your age. Universal in Korean culture)
-How tall are you? (175 centimeters. No feet here, of course)
-Do you have a boyfriend?
-What is your favorite fruit?
-Do you have any pets?
-Are you rich/ Do you have much money?
-Why is your skin that color?
-Have you ever seen an alligator? (Pem and Mem - the pic of us at the farm is coming their way)
-What is the saddest thing in your life?
-Do you have swine flu? (My incessant cough scares them)
-What's your favorite sport? (I need to learn more about Korean icons around the world. They were upset I didn't know who Ji-sung Park was. FYI- he plays for Manchester United)
-What is your favorite Korean food? (They were also upset my favorite food wasn't kimchi. Seriously?!)
-Is that hair real?

I am going to take a survey soon to find out how many of the students actually WANT to learn English.  I would bet it is only a handful in each class. Most of them couldn't act more uninterested if they tried. They learn just enough to pass their exit exam and that is it. I have to find a way to make it more interesting for them, and ME! Teaching the same material over and over is already growing old, and it's only my second week. I must say though, working with the co-teacher I have this week compared to last is like night and day. With Mrs. Kim, I feel confident. I feel like I can teach the way I want and implement my own ideas easily. She also doesn't translate everything I say! In time I will have to find a way to express to my other co-teacher that that just won't work for me. They will never learn to think in English if she continues to translate after every few sentences I speak.

This weekend was beautiful. We chose to forgo all cultural experiences while the weather is nice and just hit the beach. It is still hard for me to believe I can walk from my doorstep to waves crashing at my feet in just 5 minutes. Tonight we are going to a Lotte Giants baseball game. Should be fun!

I feel like I am settling in well to not only Busan but my school. I know my bus route well, I know where to find the coffee in the staff room, I know where to take off my shoes and put on my slippers, and most importantly I can find the bathroom without getting lost now! :)

1 comment:

  1. Now, Amy Teacher, (I just love that name!) those are some very relevant questions they have asked... So, why is your skin that color? :) Kimchi is cabbage they cook under ground, isn't it? Sounds like you might end up learning more Korean than your students learn English. What a wonderful experience you are having!!! Those kids sounds so adorable. That is so cool that you are only a 5 minute walk to the beach. Enjoy every minute of it! Btw, the money is in the bank. Love you. (hope that's okay to say on your blog) :)... I'll say it anyway!!! Let's Skype soon.

    ReplyDelete