Friday, September 18, 2009

"You get credit for time served in the womb"

This is how one person described to me how Koreans measure age. They also count you as one year older as of January 1st, NOT your actual birthday. So if you are 20 in America, you could 21 or even 22 in Korea, because of the "time served in the womb" clause. Really, I can't tell you much more than that, as I am a lazy blogger and did no follow up research to confirm or deny these "facts".

Another interesting phenomenon here in Korea is the myth (or not?) of "fan death". I laugh out loud when I tell people about this, but Koreans really believe it! Fan death is the idea that you will die if you leave a fan or air conditioning on overnight in a room with the windows and doors shut. I don't know many people who haven't slept with one of these on at least once in their life, and they are all alive and well. Read more about it here: http://www.fandeath.net/

This week has flown by. Here are some highlights:

On Thursday a 2nd grade teacher from my school took me to her brother's coffee shop in my neighborhood. What is ironic is that I had walked by this place last Friday night and had made a mental note that I wanted to come back and check this place out. It is an old brick house that they converted into a coffee house/ actual house. The coffee is on the main floor and they live upstairs. They built a beautiful wooden deck in front and the inside is filled with fun mismatched furniture, art from around the world, books, board games, and even a wall map of Yellowstone National Park! I feel really lucky that Seung a felt comfortable taking me here and meeting her family. It was such an incredible experience and it is only a 15 minute walk from my apartment! We are considering walking there for brunch in the morning. . .

Put in some more quality time at the beach this past weekend. We checked out a new beach - SeongJeong. It is about 30 minutes away, which isn't bad...except I can walk to mine!! I love my beach and am resistant to go to any of the others that require Dynamic Busan card to get there. This will continue to be on the weekend agenda until the weather fades out.

We went to a Busan I'Park soccer game on Saturday night as well. Apparently they are not very good and not well liked by many Koreans. Both of these notions appeared to be true, as there were only about 500 fans in a 20,000 person stadium. It was kind of sad, but we sat with the rowdiest Korean fans we could find and made the most of their inevitable loss.

I was able to design and lead a reading class for a small group of 5th and 6th graders this week. It felt so good to have the freedom to pick what book I wanted to read, design an activity around it, and work with the kids one on one. Unfortunately I only get to do this every other Wednesday, but at least it's something!

Amy, Natalie, Christine and I planned our first trip to Seoul the first weekend in October. It is Chuseok, similar to Thanksgiving. Looking forward to seeing the big city, as if Busan isn't big enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment